Tuesday, November 8, 2011

First Swim Meet

Saturday was our first swim meet with our new year-around swim team, Lighthouse Aquatics. Zachary has really enjoyed swimming, except the water getting cold. I will say there are many days he goofs off and acts like he is Nemo, with one arm swimming or a submarine by bobbing up and down (Attack on Pearl Harbor book) as he does backstroke, but all of that resulted in the unexpected Saturday.

He dropped 10 seconds off his backstroke and nearly swam it in under a minute. Just missed it by 2 seconds. And then is freestyle, he swam in 54 seconds. He tried all summer to be faster and could not get it in under a minute. I was so excited for him that I got tears in my eyes. I'm not sure how he felt. He wanted to know what place he was in and did he get Reserve time, which doesn't actually apply to year-around swim. Maybe that will encourage him to continue practicing. Nonetheless, we are super proud of him! Even John was surprised and proud!

Video of his freestyle race. Notice the not too bad dive. He is in the orange cap.


No comments: