Tuesday, the day of dread (at least that is how I felt). I went to get Zachary's test results. His average IQ is 120 and stable. Stability is the important part. And I was correct on his academics...pretty much on target, and only about a year behind in comprehension & language. So, yeah for Zachary and all he has accomplished this year!
In response to his social skills, I honestly expected to see at least 12 months gain if not more. I've seen my friendless child become interested in children this year. My therapist are actually sitting at the back of the room about 2/3's of the day, not having to prompt class participation and responding to the teachers questions as much. Zachary has become competitive in PE and is starting to demand that he get to play or recognize that it is his turn, rather than being completely taken advantage of. He is starting to do some imaginary play with the boys during indoor recess, involving Lego's and Magnetix. We've even had a sleep over. And then I get the test results. And suffice it to say, I hate that test. Even the doctor said it was a difficult test to master, so I told him to stop giving it to us. According to that test, my son's social skills seem to be stuck at the age of a four year old.
Last week, I read this letter written by a young woman with Aspergers, and how difficult it was socially for her when she was young. Everything she writes is what I fear for Zachary. Kids are mean enough without needing any extra ammunition.
Well after the tests results and reading this letter, I had a little talk with God. He helped me to understand that He knows infinitely more about Zachary's social skills and his future. And that test is a test developed by the world's standards, which in true reality is not what matters. Of course I want my son to "fit in" and experience love, but I want more than anything for him to draw strength from God when he feels sad or left out. So I'm choosing to live in the here and now and deal with what we have today, and poop on that test. And as God's word encourages, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about self. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matt 6:34).
Better scoot. I've got to go pick up my humorous, lovable, intelligent little boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Holly you are such a strong mom! Zachary is so lucky to have such an amazing mom. I'm very proud of him and how far he has gotten. He is still my number one student! I'm glad to hear that the shadow is sitting in the back of the room now. Wow, thats a big accomplishment in less than a year. I wish the best for ya'll and will continue to keep in touch by visiting your blog every month.
Post a Comment