Friday, December 23, 2011

A fun December weekend

I like to do something extra special and fun with Zachary each December. This year, we went to see The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. They had a performance for young audiences, so I figured that would be a good way to work on sitting for a show. Without popcorn, he tends to lose focus.

Anyway, I figured we better read the book before we went, as that would help him follow the story line. The overall story is about a relatively mean family of children that infiltrate the church Xmas pageant. In the book, they are a bit mouthy, and often say "oh my god". We do our best not to say OMG, so one morning when we got in the car, Zack said, "Mom, I can't go see that play. They say bad things." I had already bought the tickets, so we went anyway, but at least maybe he is applying what he is learning in Bible class at school.

Next we went for a burger which is always a plus for Zachary. And then we decided to grab a cupcake from a new place my girlfriends have talked about. The door sign said, please keep door closed to keep cupcakes fresh. I thought they must be good. We bought six cupcakes from Sprinkles. Zachary loved his. I thought they were good, but not enough to make a special trip to Uptown Houston. John figured they should taste like a Hostess cupcake. I told him he could have saved us some money if that was what he wanted.

And last, a trip to Discovery Green to ice skate. Zachary said he did not want to skate, so I thought it would be fun just to eat our cake and people watch. There were plenty of other things to do and see. After about 5 minutes, he wanted to skate. And after one time around, he said he was done. I made him skate longer, especially since he did not want me skating with him or getting any skates at all (figured I could aid).


He stayed on the wall a lot. I'm not sure why because he knows how to skate, but I guess the thin blade can be a little intimidating.

To finish off our day, that evening the Pasadena Fire Department brought Santa around on the fire truck. It's always exciting to see Santa, no matter what age you are. Zachary asked the fireman passing out candy canes if he was going to fight a fire. Of course, he looked at Zachary like he was a little strange, but graciously said no, and offered him another candy cane. I think that was Zachary's intent all along. :-)



Then, on Sunday, Zachary's church group went to a home for adults with a variety of challenges. They sang Xmas carols, passed out cookies and soda, and gave a gift to all the residence. I was of proud of him for doing his part.


Merry Christmas! Two more days.

No comments: