Thursday, July 12, 2012

What might he play next?

Most of you know of Zachary's love for music.  That has since expanded from piano to marimba this past year when he was allowed to played in band.  And why keep things boring.  He remembered Santa brought him a violin some 3-4 years ago.  So, two students at school started helping him learn to play in March. 



About that time, he discovered the library had books on instruments.  For a while, he wanted to play the double bass, and I told him to learn the violin first and he still had two other instruments he had not mastered.  But that did not stop him from asking several music store employees to let him play their double bass.


Then he decided he liked the challenge of the double reed instruments, so he really wanted to play the bassoon.  When we went in a music store, he begged for a bassoon reed, which he ultimately bought with his own money.  One day, I caught him pretending to play a bassoon...


Towards the end of the year, he started expressing his new interest to his band teacher.  I was pretty set against a new instrument since he had just received the marimbas in January.  But in May, his teacher approached me about him playing the oboe and felt Zachary could do it and offered to give him lessons over the summer.  Hmmm, now what to do?  I'm sure you can guess what we did...

And he has played most days for several hours.  He is also interested in conducting and so his band teacher is giving him lessons on that too.  It's only the beginning of July, and so far, it has been a musical summer.  I'm not expecting that to change much.

No comments: