Thursday, September 26, 2013

Looks so typical


Reading Lord of the Rings

I sat staring at my little boy. This is what he was doing for about 3 hours.  Patiently waiting.  Not something he could have done many years ago, especially not three hours.  I counted my blessings in that moment.  We were at TCH waiting to see a doctor to give us more direction on how to help Zachary with his frustration.

Have you ever had your child say, "I don't want to get upset, but I don't know how to stop."  It breaks my heart that I don't have a magic fix.  Heck, I struggle with this myself, and many times I don't get it right.

Adolescence and autism do not mix well, and we are seeing the combination lived out.  We are all frustrated.  We didn't get many answers, but at least one good suggestion came.  So we are waiting for an appointment to see the most specific doctor that can help.  We may get a possible temporary fix, but have to wait for that appointment too. 

In the meantime, I try to enjoy the sweet times like this one (below).

7 hours waiting, & now we are both being silly.

No comments: