Friends...we all need them, we all want them. I've prayed Zachary would have just one good friend since he was in 1st grade. Well, God has answered and in His big and wonderful way.
We have had 3 play dates without therapists this school year. Scary for me, but he has done well, and actually one time, he went to a little boys house (even more scary). Two weeks ago, Zachary started talking about a boy in class and I asked if he wanted him to come over. You could see the wheels spinning. I expect he was thinking, "I can have him come over, hmmm." So Saturday, they played together for 3 1/2 hours. When the little boys mom called, he wanted to stay another 30 minutes. How awesome was that!
In the notes from school, the therapist wrote, Zachary asked another little boy if he could go over to their house (I know, rude to ask, but that is another lesson for another day). This second little boy actually asked his mom and reported back. He was welcome to come. Then a few days later, that same little boy brought Zachary a belated birthday gift (he missed Zachary's party), a very nice rock. Both Zachary and this boy were very excited about this exchange. And please note, during Zachary's annual testing through his therapy group the Dr. has asked the past three years, "does Zachary have any interest in going over to friends houses?" Now I can say, Yes!
Today, Zachary's teacher called. We were speaking about his standardized testing this week, and she mentioned a paper she had recently read. She said that one student (first child mentioned above), noted Zachary as one of his best buddies. Other children consider my Zachary worthy to be a friend. My son has friends! I just wanted one friend, and God in His sovereignty answered bigger and better!
Over Spring Break, we plan a few different days with a third little boy who is also very excited about coming over. We will have our first sleep over and then another day go to the rodeo for the afternoon. I'll let you all know how that goes, but I expect it will be just fine. 8-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment