We heard there would be a petting zoo, so we had to go. This is not your typical petting zoo, it was an instrument petting zoo. Following the "petting zoo" was a free concert offered at a local church by the Houston Symphony. I told Zachary to simply sit back and listen to songs. I forgot how visual he is. He was looking around, checking out the musicians, quietly commenting on what he saw and heard. He was in his element, to say the least.
At the petting zoo, he tried every instrument, and most more than once.
I had spoken with a young lady about him playing their bassoon. She
brought one because Zachary has his own reed. I know you are surprised to see
more pictures of Zachary playing instruments.
First he tried all the brass instruments, while patiently waiting for help with the bassoon...
And now what the audience (well, only Zachary) has been waiting for. His first bassoon lesson by a principal bassoonist from the Houston Symphony. She was so kind to assist him. And she said he could come on stage afterwards and she would play a bit for him.
He loved the show, and by the time it was over, he wanted to play the English horn. But then I happened to show him the conductors bio, which stated he played the oboe. So, for now, he will stick with the oboe and work on conducting too. That is what he says he wants to be when he grows up.
And on the funny side, he jetted up to the stage and started trying to touch instruments. I was trapped talking to two older ladies about Zachary and the performance. I finally got up to him, and the musicians were all so nice to let him handle the instruments. He even asked the bassoonist to play Echos of Christmas. He just happened to have the sheet music with him, and she was gracious enough to play a few measures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love that he is getting involved in music! I played the violin throughout school and even though I wasn't great, it was an awesome experience. Keep it up Zach!!
Thanks Shelbi! We've talked about coming to see you guys out in LA. Look out, he will probably ask you to play your violin. :-)
Post a Comment