January 17th we celebrated Grandot's birthday. Grandot, (my mother's mom) as we all call her, was surrounded by family at her place one Saturday evening. Even Great Uncle Fred came from Oklahoma, and what an unexpected blessing that was for me. We had several of the grand kids and their spouses present, along with 3 great grand kids and two on the way.
I did not make a toast at the party because I don't always express myself very well. But Grandot has been a great influence in my life. She wasn't the "fun" the grandma growing up, but I see the many things that she taught me in her own "fun" way. She taught me to play cards with Amy in the summers - Skip Bo and Uno to name a few. She taught me to swim (nearly drowned me a few times), and would try to out swim me and Amy many times during our summer visits. She taught me and Amy the Rosary. We would say it driving from Odessa to Midland. While she didn't teach me tennis, I know she taught others. She believed in me and loaned my mom some money for college (mom never used it, and I greatly appreciate my mom's sacrifices too). She allowed me to buy her car from her when I most needed one. I wrote her a note and sent her a monthly payment of what I could afford while I was in college. I still have some of the letters she sent me. It is funny how you get older and want to hang on the hand-written letters from your family and friends.
I'm still learning from her. I'm learning to respect the elderly again, and to give them, and her, the respect that is due. I'm learning what it might be like when my mom ages, and growing to look forward to it as I get updates from Aunt Ruth. She has taught me that some people do not look at Zachary like he is so different and that some people might wonder why I parent the way I do. I love Grandot, and while sometimes she might not be that talkative or "fun" (however you define that), she will always have a special place in my heart because she has helped to define who I am.
We love you Grandot!
Look whose 90.
Grandot and the great- grand kids
No comments:
Post a Comment