Friday, September 25, 2009

AR tests

As kids start school, you have to learn the lingo of school work, new programs and such. Well AR tests came into our life in First Grade. AR stands for Accelerated Reader. To put it simply, the child reads a library book that is designated a certain level, like 1.9 would be a First grade book but almost a Second grade because of the 0.9. Then they take a simple 5 to 10 question comprehension quiz. Well there is the word I dread...comprehension.

Comprehension has been a struggle for Zachary, but this summer they worked specifically on comprehension and auditory processing. I had already decided I would not be able to spend as much time reading and re-reading multiple times to make sure he understood the material because the books are just getting too long. Well three weeks ago, he got a 100% on his first test, then last week he got an 80% (got 4 out of 5 correct). I was so excited!

This week, he brought home some crazy, long book. He has been very insistent on him reading his books and me not helping. Wednesday night, when he finished reading his book for his Thursday AR test, he said, and I quote, "quiz me." So I did and he seemed to know his stuff. He took his 10 question quiz and got a 100%. Whooooohooooo! I am so proud of him. We treated him to his favorite restaurant...Lupe Tortillas (his choice, honest). What a fulfilling day! Just thought I would share my joy.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Yea!! Way to go Zachary!! :) That makes my day!!