A long overdue milestone was accomplished this past month. There was a program we worked on with Zachary when he first started therapy. It was called Joint Attention. What it requires is for a person to attend to another person's actions. So for example, if I pointed at something, anyone standing near me might look in that direction. The most common one I think of is when you are in the grocery and you smile at a crying baby (I tend to make a funny face), and they stop and respond.
In Zachary's case, he never responded to a person smiling or pointing. It was just a blank stare. But the other day, he did. He was doing homework, and I was just watching him work. I smiled at him when he looked up, and then he smiled right back. I can't tell you what that meant to me. Never take your child's smile for granted. It has always been such hard work to get Zachary to smile. And here in this instant, he was smiling back, welcoming me into his heart. And the cool thing, is it was not a one time deal. He did with his Pops also when we were visiting last weekend.
Therapy work continues to pay off...even eight years after we started!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
awesome holly. awesome! :)
Post a Comment